Memorial Day is coming up on Monday, May 28, and Max and Slate is here to make your barbeque unforgettable! We love coming up with awesome new recipes to share with you, and this time, we decided to reinvent some Memorial Day classics. These recipes are an exciting, fresh take on dishes that you know and love—and we guarantee that you’ll be coming back for seconds.
- Lamb Gyro Burgers with Tangy Tzatziki Sauce
There’s nothing more American than a good old burger on the grill. But this time, we’re bringing you a creative new take on this age-old classic! Your taste buds will take a trip to the Mediterranean with this tangy, tantalizing tzatziki sauce. And remember, fresh vegetables on the side are a perfect complement to this cool, refreshing summer burger.
- 1 pound ground lamb meat
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons dill
- 1 cucumber, chopped and peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 fresh ciabatta rolls
- ½ red onion
- 1 large tomato
- ½ head of lettuce
- Combine your yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, cucumber, salt, pepper, and dill in a bowl to create your tzatziki sauce. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate.
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 500 degrees.
- Place your lamb meat in a large bowl and add oregano, coriander, cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend the mixture together with your hands until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Form the mixture into four burger patties and flatten them gently with your hands.
- Grill the burgers on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. For best results, check the temperature using a meat thermometer.
- Toast your ciabatta rolls on the grill.
- Serve the burgers on the ciabatta rolls with lettuce, tomato, onions, and tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
- Hot Dogs with Avocado Key Lime Salsa
At a backyard barbeque, everyone craves a savory, salty grilled hot dog. But let’s face it: the same old thing can get boring after a while. That’s why it’s time to spice things up a bit with this zesty avocado key lime salsa! We guarantee that our creamy, flavor-packed salsa slathered over the dogs will be an instant hit.
- 1 avocado, peeled
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- ¼ cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 hot dogs
- 5 hot dog buns
- Your favorite brand of hot sauce
- To create your salsa, combine your avocado with your tomato, onion, key lime juice, salt, and pepper. Gently mash the mixture until the ingredients are evenly mixed, but be sure to leave some hearty chunks! Refrigerate for maximum freshness.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat (around 350 degrees) and grill your hot dogs for 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place a thin layer of salsa in your buns. Gently rest the hot dogs inside, and top with a few generous scoops of salsa. Garnish with lettuce, and add as much hot sauce as you can handle.
Happy Memorial Day from Max and Slate
Whether you’re looking to throw a backyard bash or to have a quiet meal all to yourself, these creative Memorial Day barbeque ideas are sure to be a hit! And after you’ve savored these unique dishes to the last bite, be sure to take a moment to reflect on what Memorial Day is all about: the fallen soldiers who gave everything for their country. Without them, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy so many good times and delicious meals.