Pizza is one of the few foods that the entire family can agree on. It seems like no one can resist the warm, crispy crust and savory cheese—and with the right toppings, it can even be healthy! If you’re like us here at Max and Slate, you probably love chowing down on a delicious pizza every so often. In fact, you might even be craving one right now. But before you round everyone up and head out to the pizzeria, give our awesome homemade dough recipe a try.
It’s All in the Dough
You could have the tastiest cheese and the most amazing toppings in the world, but without the right dough, your pizza will be a flop. That’s why we’ve spent the past few months developing the perfect New York Style crust! We guarantee that this recipe can’t be beat, and will leave you with the crispiest, flakiest dough imaginable.
- 1 package instant yeast (approximately 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ¼ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
Note: Using a food processor ensures that your dough will be the perfect consistency. However, it should still be suitable if you don’t have access to one. Instead, mix the ingredients thoroughly with a large spoon.
- Mix your yeast, sugar, flour, and salt in a large food processor for 3 pulses.
- Add your water and olive oil, then process the mixture for 15 seconds straight without stopping. Then, let the dough rest for several seconds before mixing again for 15 more seconds.
- Spread a light layer of flour onto a pizza pan or cutting board. Remove your dough from the food processor, and knead it on the surface until it forms into a smooth, uniformly-shaped ball.
- Split your dough into 3 sections, and place each section into a zip-lock bag. Refrigerate and allow to rise for 24 hours. If necessary, you can store the dough for up to 4 days before using it.
- Before spreading your dough out on the pan, remove it from the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
Get Creative with Tasty Toppings
When we said it was all about the dough, we might have been stretching things a little bit. If you’re trying to make the best pizza ever, toppings are just as important as the crust! Luckily, it’s hard to go wrong if you toss a bunch of your favorite meats and veggies on the pizza, along with some tasty cheese and sauce.
If you’re having a hard time coming up with your next spring pizza, here are a few killer topping combos to get you started:
- Spring Garden Crunch: Mozzarella cheese, Banana peppers, sliced green peppers, black olives, fresh spinach, and tomato-basil sauce.
- Prosciutto and Fig Delight: Gorgonzola cheese, prosciutto ham, and sliced figs, with balsamic dressing dribbled overtop.
- Buffalo Chicken Overload: Mozzarella cheese, chopped chicken tenders, and Frank’s hot sauce, with a layer of bleu cheese dressing underneath.
. . . but remember, the only limit is your creativity!
Check Back Soon for More Delicious Treats
At Max and Slate, we love sharing our favorite meal ideas with our loyal customers. We hope you’ll check back again soon for more irresistible recipes—and don’t forget to share a slice of pizza with your friends, too!